A man has died from a virus related to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome(SARS) in Qatar, becoming the second recorded fatality from MERS coronavirus in the Persian Gulf state, health officials said.
Qatar's Supreme Council of Health said the man died on Friday after showing symptoms of the MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) virus on August 17. On Wednesday, Qatari health authorities said a 56-year-old woman died of MERS on August 31, a week after she was admitted to a hospital. The health authorities also said two other cases of infection, aged 59 and 29, have been registered in the country and were hospitalized last month. On August 30, the World Health Organization said on its website that 50 people out of 108 confirmed cases were killed of the virus. At least 44 people have so far been killed in Saudi Arabia, which is the country worst hit by MERS virus. MERS is regarded as a cousin of the SARS virus that broke out in Asia in 2003 killing some 800 people. The virus first emerged in the Middle East, and was discovered in September 2012 in a Qatari man who had recently traveled to Saudi Arabia. Cases have been reported in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Germany, France, Italy, Tunisia and the United Kingdom.