Syria’s Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Miqdad has warned against any US strike on his country, saying the move would be dangerous to the world.
“This war that is going on to start against Syria is a dangerous war and threatens the peace and security of the world, ” Miqdad said during an interview with satellite al - Ekhbaria TV channel aired late on Friday. Miqdad also urged the US Congress to be wise in its deliberations on the US administration - proposed resolution to attack Syria.
“[US President Barack] Obama must not forget that America has become isolated, ” said the Syrian deputy foreign minister in reference to the reluctance of some of the United States’ closest allies to participate in Washington’s plans for attacking Syria.
In the latest manifestation of opposition to US plans for attacking Syria, world leaders at the G20 summit in Russia ended the event while being deeply divided regarding Syria. At the end of the two-day summit of the developed and developing economies in St. Petersburg, Russia, on Friday, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that his country and a great majority of the world leaders who attended the summit opposed a unilateral military offensive against Syria. The Obama administration has been campaigning for strikes against Syria since August 21, when the militants operating inside the Middle Eastern country and its foreign-backed opposition claimed that over a thousand people had been killed in a government chemical attack on the outskirts of Damascus. The Syrian government categorically rejected the accusation. Ever since the unsubstantiated allegation was made, media outlets have been reporting US plans for likely surgical attacks, which would be in the form of “cruise-missile strikes,” and “could rely on … US destroyers in the Mediterranean [Sea].” The Pentagon has more recently said it is also considering using “Air Force bombers” in the strikes against Syria. Obama has sought authorization for strikes on Syria from a skeptical Congress.