A bomb attack at a mosque in Afghanistan’s northern province of Kunduz has killed a district governor, his bodyguards and several civilians.
The bombing was carried out at the gate of the mosque in Dashti Archi District on Friday. District governor Sayed Sadruddin and at least seven others died in the attack. They had gone to the mosque to attend a funeral ceremony for a tribal elder, said Kunduz provincial police spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hossaini. “I cannot give you the total number of the dead right now, and police are in the area for further investigation,” Hossaini said. There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack so far. Insecurity remains in Afghanistan despite the presence of thousands of US-led foreign troops. The explosion in Dashti Archi follows a series of bomb attacks across Afghanistan recently. Over the past few days, bomb attacks carried out by the Taliban militants have left more than 30 people dead and more than 80 others injured in the country.