Syrian army soldiers have attacked the positions of foreign - backed militants in an area of the Damascus countryside.
On Thursday, the army announced that it gained full control of farms in the city of Palmyra near the capital. Meanwhile, a car bomb explosion hit a military checkpoint in Nabak, another area in the countryside, on the same day. On August 28, Syrian army forces carried out military operations in Palmyra. According to Syrian sources, the army also made advancements in the town of Sbeineh. On August 21, the militants operating inside Syria and the foreign-backed Syrian opposition claimed that hundreds had been killed in a government chemical attack on militant strongholds in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar. A number of Western and Arab countries have also accused Damascus of carrying out the attack. However, the Syrian government has denied the allegations as baseless. Since August 27, speculations became stronger about the possibility of a military attack on Syria. Media outlets reported US plans for likely surgical attacks, which would be in the form of “cruise-missile strikes,” and “could rely on four US destroyers in the Mediterranean [Sea].” The plan was said to be awaiting US President Barack Obama’s go-ahead. Iran, Russia and China, among other countries, have warned against foreign military intervention in Syria. However, Washington says it is willing to carry out an attack against Syria without the approval of the UN or its allies.