Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has warned that a potential military attack against Syria will destabilize the Arab country as well as the Middle East.
Lavrov made the remarks in a telephone conversation with UN - Arab League Special Representative on Syria Lakhdar Brahimi, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
Lavrov has “emphasized the lack of alternative to a diplomatic solution and that attempts for a military solution will lead only to a further destabilization of the situation in the country and the region, ” the ministry said.
Lavrov and Brahimi also agreed that “at this critical moment all sides -- including external players -- must act with the maximum responsibility and not repeat the mistakes of the past,” the ministry added. In a separate telephone conversation with US Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday, Lavrov rejected Washington’s claim that the Syrian government was behind the recent chemical attack near the capital, Damascus. Lavrov said that the Russian government wanted an objective and substantive exchange of information on the US-alleged evidence on attacks. On August 21, the militants operating inside Syria and the foreign-backed Syrian opposition claimed that 1,300 people had been killed in a government chemical attack on militant strongholds in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar. A number of Western countries, including the US, France, and the UK, were quick to adopt the rhetoric of war against Syria despite the fact that Damascus categorically rejected the baseless claim, and announced later that the chemical attack had actually been carried out by the militants themselves as a false flag operation.