Chief Palestinian Authority negotiator Saeb Erekat has slammed the Israeli regime over its preliminary approval for the construction of more illegal settler units in the occupied West Bank.In a letter to US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday, Erekat said the Tel Aviv regime’s recent announcement indicates its “bad faith and lack of seriousness” in the US - backed talks between Palestinians and Israelis. On Thursday, Guy Inbar, spokesman for Israel’s military - run civil administration in the occupied West Bank, said initial plans to construct more than 800 new illegal settler homes had been approved. The Palestinian negotiator further called on Washington to take necessary measures to “ensure that Israel does not advance any of its settlement plans. ” Hanan Ashrawi, a member of the Palestinian Liberation Organization’s executive committee, also urged Kerry on Thursday to take “real action” against the Israeli regime. Erekat sent the letter on the same day that US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said talks between the Palestinian Authority(PA) and the Israeli regime will resume on August 14 in al - Quds(Jerusalem).
Psaki said that the United States “does not accept the legitimacy of continued settlement activity and opposes any efforts to legitimize settlement outpost. ”The representatives of Israel and the Palestinian Authority met in Washington in late July. The meeting was the first direct negotiations in three years. More than half a million Israelis live in over 120 illegal settlements built since Israel’s occupation of the Palestinian territories of the West Bank and East al-Quds in 1967.