A German Foreign Ministry spokesman says the European country will suspend all consular services in Yemen for two days due to security reasons.
“The German embassy in Sana'a will remain closed Sunday and after tomorrow for security reasons,” the spokesman said. The embassy website said it will “remain closed for visitors on August 4 and 5.” The website also pointed to updated Foreign Ministry warnings to German travelers that “the situation in the entire country is uncertain in the future.” The German Foreign Ministry had referred in particular to the threat of “terrorist attacks in certain isolated parts of the country but also in the capital Sana'a.” The move by Germany followed a similar one by Britain as well as a US decision to temporarily close two dozen embassies in Arab and other countries over security fears. The UK Foreign Office announced on Friday that the British embassy in Yemen will be closed on Sunday and Monday and that a number of personnel had been withdrawn from the Yemeni capital due to increased security fears. “There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Yemen,” the UK Foreign Office said in a statement. “[We] advise against all travel to Yemen and strongly urge British nationals to leave now.” On Thursday, the US State Department “instructed certain US embassies and consulates to remain closed or to suspend operations on Sunday, August 4.” The State Department came under fire last year after the US consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi was attacked on September 11, leading to the death of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.