Pakistan's main government prosecutor on the Benazir Bhutto murder case was shot dead in Islamabad on Friday, police said. State prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar was shot multiple times by gunmen as he was driving to the next hearing in the murder case of the former prime minister, who was assassinated more than five years ago. His bodyguard was also wounded in the attack and a woman killed when Mr Zulfiqar lost control of his vehicle, police said. Police said the gunmen fled on a motorbike. "Chaudhry Zulfiqar was driving his car. He lost control and the car crushed a woman passer-by," police officer Mohammad Yousuf said. "Zulfiqar was rushed to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries," he added. Mr Zulfiqar's white Toyota Corolla was badly damaged in the attack. Its wind shield was smashed and there were multiple bullet marks on both sides of the car and at the front. Pieces of broken window lay inside and on the road, an AFP reporter said. The attack happened in broad
daylight in a busy street in a middle-class neighbourhood. The prosecutor had been on his way to appear before the anti-terrorism court hearing the Bhutto case in the neighbouring city of Rawalpindi. Nobody has ever been convicted or jailed for Ms Bhutto's December 2007 assassination. The government of military ruler Pervez Musharraf at the time blamed the killing on Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud, who denied any involvement and was killed in a US drone attack in 2009. On Tuesday, Musharraf was placed under a two-week house arrest over charges that he conspired to murder the former prime minister, who was at the time campaigning for election. Ms Bhutto's son, Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, who is chairman of the outgoing main ruling Pakistan People's Party, has accused Musharraf of her murder. In 2010 a UN report said Bhutto's death could have been prevented and accused Musharraf's government of failing to give her adequate protection. Mr Zulfiqar was also the main government
prosecutor who indicted seven alleged conspirators in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, which killed 166 people and which were blamed on Pakistan's Islamist group Lashkar-e-Taiba. Pakistan indicted the seven in 2009 but has since said it needs to gather more evidence in India before proceeding further. India accuses Lashkar-e-Taiba of training, equipping and financing the attack with support from "elements" in the Pakistani military. Mr Zulfiqar was given extra government security last year after he was implicated in threats received by police investigators. It was not immediately clear who was responsible for the shooting.