The United Nations (UN) has blacklisted Saudi-led coalition for killing Yemeni children during the war against Yemen, as rights group call for more pressure on Riyadh to end the war.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres released the UN’s annual black list on Thursday, saying the actions of Saudi Arabia and its allies in Yemen “objectively led to that party being listed for the killing and maiming of children.”
The body said the Saudi-led coalition had been responsible for 683 child casualties and 38 verified attacks on schools and hospitals in 2016.
According to the UN chief, the blacklist was “not only to raise awareness,” but also to “promote measures that can diminish the tragic plight of children in conflict.”
The UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Egypt, Jordon, Morocco and Sudan support Saudi Arabia in its aggression against Yemen, which started early 2015 to restore its Riyadh-friendly government.
At least 12,000 people have been killed since the military campaign began, according to the latest tallies by the local monitoring group.
“The coalition needs to stop making empty promises to exercise caution, take concrete action to stop these deadly unlawful attacks in Yemen, and allow desperately needed fuel and aid to reach those in need,” said Jo Becker, HRW’s children’s rights advocate.
“Until this happens, governments should suspend all Saudi weapons sales,” she said.