Yemen’s former president Ali Abdullah Saleh says he will continue to cooperate with the Houthi Ansarullah movement in the country to counter the Saudi-led war on Yemen.
Saleh also said on Monday that Saudi Arabia had been targeting Yemen’s sovereignty and independence with the military campaign, the Lebanon-based Al Mayadeen TV channel reported.
He also emphasized that the Yemeni nation would not surrender or accept any parties’ dictates.
Saleh and the Houthis have been in alliance almost since the Saudi-led war began on their country in March 2015. The war was launched in an attempt to eliminate the Houthis and reinstall Saleh’s Riyadh-friendly successor, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who resigned from office.
The Houthi Ansarullah fighters, allied Yemeni army factions, and forces loyal to Saleh have been jointly fighting back the Saudi-led invaders. And Saudi Arabia has attained neither of its objectives despite spending billions of dollars on the war and enlisting the cooperation of dozens of its vassal states as well as some Western countries.
The Saudi-led war, which has been accompanied by a naval and aerial blockade on Yemen, has so far killed over 12,000 people in the impoverished state, left 70 percent of the country’s 27 million population in desperate need of humanitarian aid, and caused the worst cholera outbreak in the world.