Qatar says it has evidence that shows the same neighboring countries that are leading a boycott campaign against Doha had been involved in the alleged hacking of its state news agency.
Attorney General Ali bin Fetais al-Marri Ali bin Fetais al-Marri said on Tuesday that the hacking incident was launched by some “neighboring countries”, without naming them.
Last month, the Qatar News Agency (QNA) released statements attributed to Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, praising the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas, describing Iran as an “Islamic power” and censuring U.S. President Donald Trump.
The comments triggered an unprecedented diplomatic crisis in the Persian Gulf region. Qatar, however, said hackers had broken into the QNA website and published the fake news.
“We have evidence to show that iPhones originating from the countries laying siege to us have been used in this hacking. We have enough evidence to point the finger of blame at these countries,” Marri said.
The hacking report did not convince Saudi Arabia and its allies. They severed diplomatic ties and cut of transport links with Qatar in early June, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism.
The Qatari attorney general also said that it was “very soon” to provide more details about those who were responsible for the hacking.
“We have sent the information to the countries concerned and we are awaiting their response,” Marri noted, adding, “As far as we are concerned the case is very clear.”