At least seven people have been killed during a U.S. ground and aerial operation in Yemen’s central province of Ma’rib, the Pentagon said.
According to Centcom, the U.S. military command in the Middle East, the Tuesday attack had been carried out with the support of the former Yemeni government.
Centcom said in a statement that the raid had targeted a compound belonging to the al-Qaeda militant group.
“During this operation, US forces killed seven AQAP (Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula) militants through a combination of small arms fire and precision airstrikes,” the statement read.
Back in January, U.S. President Donald Trump authorized his first attack in Yakla Village in Bayda Province of Yemen, killing dozens of Yemeni civilians.
Yemen has been under regular U.S. drone strikes as well as Saudi Arabia’s continuous aggression which began late March 2015. Civilians have been the main victims of such attacks.
The UN’s Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said on Monday during a visit to Yemen that he wanted to prevent any attack on the western port city of Hudaydah.
Meanwhile, Riyadh has threatened to attack the port city and retake it from the Houthi Ansarullah movement, a popular group that is helping the Yemeni army against Saudi-led aggression against Yemen.