Millions of Yemenis have filled the streets in the capital, Sana’a, to mark the second anniversary of the brutal Saudi war, which has left a trail of death and devastation across the impoverished Arab state.

On Sunday, the demonstrators converged on al-Sabin Square in Sana’a, waving national flags and chanting slogans to condemn the Saudi bloodshed in their country.

Senior Yemeni officials were also among the participants in the large demonstration.

Speaking at the event, Saleh al-Samad, the president of Yemen’s Supreme Political Council, praised the nation’s firm resistance in the face of the Saudi aggression and said the Riyadh regime failed to bring Yemen to its knees despite all the money and resources at its disposal.

The official further held Saudi Arabia and its partners responsible for the collapse of the conflict resolution talks between Yemeni warring sides, saying the US and Israel are also in cahoots with the Riyadh regime in its war on Yemen.

“Yemen’s resistance, however, proved to be more powerful than any weapon in the world,” Samad said.

On the eve of the war’s anniversary, Abdul-Malik Badreddin al-Houthi, the leader of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement, also addressed the nation, saying the kingdom’s almost daily airstrikes against civilians are nothing short of war crimes.

On March 26, 2015, Saudi Arabia, backed by a number of its allies, began launching airstrikes on different areas across Yemen, its southern neighbor, in an attempt to reinstall the former Yemeni government, a close Riydah ally.

The campaign, which also involves ground operations and a naval blockade, has so far left over 12,000 civilians dead, pushing the Arab world’s poorest country to the verge of famine.

Indiscriminate Saudi bombardments have taken a heavy toll on Yemeni infrastructure, schools and hospitals, with prominent rights groups censuring Riyadh’s military for the use of internationally-banned weapons against Yemeni civilians.

Millions mark Saudi war anniversary in Yemen

As the war enters its third year, Saudi Arabia has failed to fulfill its declared goals of war and seems without an exit strategy. 

The Saudi intervention in the Yemeni conflict came months after Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement took state matters in hands in 2014, when the former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, stepped down and fled to Riyadh.

The former president is now based in the southern Yemeni city of Aden, but spends most of his time in the Saudi capital.

Several rounds of peace talks between Ansarullah and the Saudi-sponsored party loyal to Hadi have failed to yield results amid deep divisions.

Ansarullah fighters, backed by army forces and popular forces, are currently defending the nation against the Saudi offensive.

The chaos in Yemen, fueled by the Saudi campaign, has given the Takfiri al-Qaeda and Daesh terror groups room to operate in the country, further complicating the situation on the ground there.