Iran said it will issue visas for American wrestlers to join the Freestyle World Cup that will be held on mid-February.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Jabvad Zarif tweeted that his country will issue visas for US wrestlers, following the halt of Trump’s ban by a federal judge as well as requests from Iranian Wrestling Federation and FILA.
“Following the court ruling suspending #MuslimBan & the requests from Iranian Wrestling Federation & FILA, US Wrestlers' visa will be granted,” he tweeted.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi also said Sunday that the decision was made after the US judge halted the discriminatory entry ban against Iranian citizens.
Federal Judge James Robart who presides in Seattle, on Friday halted US President Donald Trump’s entry ban that blocked citizens of 7 Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States. The countries on the list include: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.
He noted that the executive order adversely affects residents in areas of education, employment, and freedom to travel.
Earlier on Friday, the foreign ministry said Iran will not grant visa to US freestyle wrestling team to enter the country.
The 45th round of the 2017 Freestyle World Cup will be held in Iran on February 16-17, with eight top world teams attending.