The detention of prominent human rights campaigner Nabeel Rajab has been extended for 15 more days by the Bahraini Attorney General.
Rajab was expected to be released pending trial.
His lawyer, Mohammed al-Jishi, said on Thursday that this is the sixth time that Rajab’s pre-trial detention has been extended.
Rajab was arrested months ago over tweets criticizing the Manama regime for torturing human prisoners at a local jail and for the regime’s involvement in the deadly Saudi aggression against Yemeni people.
He was accused of spreading false news, rumors, propaganda during wartime – allegations that have been denied by the defendant.
Following a court ruling ordering Rajab’s release on bail pending a trial due on January 23, the country’s public prosecutor said that he would remain in custody due to another investigation being carried out.
Hi was accused of publishing “false and malicious rumors” against the Persian Gulf kingdom.
“The public prosecutor is detaining Rajab without any reason,” Jishi said.
“This is illegal, because according to criminal law procedure 147, they cannot keep him without charge for more than 6 months.”
Rajab had been repeatedly arrested for involvement in anti-regime protests and criticizing the Bahraini regime.
The UN has called for Manama’s immediate and unconditional freedom of Rajab from jail.