According to a top Yemeni commander, the country’s army, backed by popular forces, continued their advances in Ma’rib province, killing dozens of pro-Saudi mercenaries in fierce clashes.

"Tough clashes are still underway in Eastern Ma'rib province," Fars news agency quoted senior Ansarullah Commander Ali al-Houthi as saying on Monday.

The Ansarullah commander said that 20 pro-Saudi mercenaries have been killed, adding that several military vehicles of the enemy have also been destroyed.

He noted that the Yemeni army and popular forces also confiscated a large amount of weapons and military equipment from the pro-Saudi mercenaries.

"The mercenaries started pounding people's houses in al-Hamdeh, al-Rozeh and al-Hazm regions with mortar shells following this defeat," al-Houthi said.

This is while over 10 pro-Hadi militias were killed and 17 others injured in Koufel military base following the explosion of a hand-made bomb.

Since the Saudi military launched its aggression against neighboring Yemen in March 2015, more than 12,000 Yemenis, including women and children, have been killed.

International right groups have repeatedly denounced Saudi Arabia for its ongoing aggression against Yemen.

The right groups have also warned of a humanitarian crisis in the impoverished country.

Saudi Arabia launched its attack against Yemen with the aim of reinstating Yemen’s former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi who resigned last year and fled to the Saudi capital.